Friday, 11 September 2015

Half Marathon training: Update 1.



If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter then you might have noticed that I'm in training for a half marathon. I really don't know what prompted me to sign up for this because I've made no bones about the fact that I'm not the biggest running fan.

Except from, now I am. 

I'm one of those now. You know the type. The person who wants to chat about pacing, routes and running trainers. The creature who wants to update everyone on how far and fast I managed to put one foot in front of the other. It's dreadful.

It's all because now I have a fancy app that records my runs. Honestly, I might be the most easily pleased person in the world because all I require in order to have a good day is that little green tick that says I've met my target.  My social life is now planned around how I can manage to fit my runs in lest I might miss out on a tick. Clearly my life is really exciting right now.

This half marathon has come at a good time for me. It's given me something specific to focus on when much of the rest of my life seems a little out of focus and perhaps that's one reason I've thrown myself into it so much. The training definitely hasn't been plain sailing though, largely because I am the most useless person ever. 

Firstly, I had to miss a session because I came down with a heavy head cold (my second one in as many months) and then there have also been gigantic blisters to attend to. Neither of these are really my fault so I can just chalk that up as bad luck.

Then I fell while running along a completely flat, smooth road. More concerned about protecting my iPhone from the collision with concrete, I heroically took the brunt of the fall on my right side. A crowd of people gasped (how dramatic) and ran over to my assistance.

One man reached out his hand to help me up. I frantically scrabbled around the ground trying to reach my phone. Glancing at the screen I breathed a sigh of relief as I realised that my phone wasn't smashed. Scratched to bits mind you, but intact. His hand still outstretched he asked me,

'Oh god! Are you okay?' 

'My phone isn't broken!' I said.

I beamed excitedly up at him about this fact. My hip, on the other hand, I couldn't be quite so sure about.

I thanked the crowd of people for their assistance and then limped through the final mile and a half of my run. I had a green tick to achieve after all. The experience took a toll on my running pace for the next little while. I didn't particularly wish to relive the experience of getting beaten up by concrete so I concentrated extra hard on picking my feet up properly, the kind of thing that comes naturally to most people over the age of four years old.

And on we move to perhaps the most tragic barrier to my training out of the lot. For the last 10 days I've been training with a touch of whiplash.

That sounds pretty dramatic, I'm sure. That is, it sounds dramatic until you find out that I sustained this injury by falling off a toilet. Honestly. It could only be more pathetic if the ambulance crew had found me on the bathroom floor without any clothes on. Oh wait.... 

This stopped me training for a couple of days and it's still a little sore so the runs have been a touch slower than I might have liked, as I try to take it easy on my poor, pathetic body. Still though, despite my best attempts to get in the way of progress I have somehow managed to break the nine minute mile on some of my 3-4 mile runs and also run further than I've ever managed before so you can go right ahead and feel impressed.

Now I just need to talk to you all about running gait and foot structure......no wait, don't go......




7 comments:

  1. Thats great, I always feel embarrassed by how I really can never run that far...I'd be doomed in a scary film! That app sounds so motivating! And can I request a detailed blog post on the whiplash toilet incident...it sounds ever so intriguing (after I read that you had recovered of course)! xxx

    Jesska - Opal Soul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jesska. Thanks for commenting! I'm not usually much of a distance runner myself but I'm getting there! I use the run keeper app, it really is good.

      Ha, there's not too much more to the story than that really. I faint a lot and it was just a case of bad timing haha!

      Delete
  2. Hope you're recovering from whiplash - at least it makes a good story if nothing else!

    9 minute miles is really good - sounds like you're getting on just fine to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a good if somewhat embarrassing story!

      I'm proud of getting past the 9 min mile mark but I've only done so a couple of times on the shorter runs. 10 mins + is my pace for the longer ones.

      Delete
  3. This post is just too good! Saving you iPhone over your hip and failing off a toilet - wait, what?!- seriously though I hope you're ok

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grr posted too soon. Any hoo I'm hoping to join you in the we heart running now club, just give me a little longer to get there! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Katy, I am ok. Just a little bit bruised but that's mainly just my pride! If you don't have it already I'd definitely recommend using an app like runkeeper to track your runs. Let's you see your progress so feels much more motivating.

      I'm enjoying running just now but I don't think I could run everyday like you!

      Delete