Thursday, 3 September 2015

100 days of reading and writing



One of the things I like best about writing on this blog is the record of my life that it holds. Even if nobody else reads it, I still like to flick through some of the old posts and remind myself about what I got up to and what fun was had along the way. I have a faint obsession with tracking time because sometimes it seems to slip away from me too quickly. I find that this blog is a good way to do that.

I've never been one to keep a journal, save for an awkward teenage diary which was only written in intermittently,  usually when I was having some hormone fuelled rage about something or other. I never really got into the habit of documenting each day, preferring instead to just savour the moments in real time.

Sometimes I feel regret about that, particularly when I think back over particularly enjoyable parts of my life and the memories are a little fuzzy. I can remember how I felt, but not the specific details of the conversations, or the names of some of the people involved. The general location sticks in my mind but I'll be damned if I can remember exactly how the buildings looked to me, or which route I wandered along to get there. I try to bring the memories into focus but as hard as I try, they're just a blurry mess. If I wanted to write about them now, it would be largely fiction, with only a small basis in reality.

***

I used to read a lot. All the time in fact. I do that less often now. Partly it's because Ryan and I like to spend our spare time together (barf) so after tea we will sit together and watch a mutually agreeable television show rather than go off into separate rooms and do something independently.

When I do have a few spare moments, during my lunch hour at work for example, I tend to spend them scrolling through social media and reading articles online. All of which is fine of course, but really I'm tired of skimming the surface of things.

***

I was reading Katy's blog and saw that she's taking on a 100 day challenge during which she'll run every day. The original idea started here and there's a Facebook group and all that jazz to help you commit to the 100 days.

I'm already doing a lot of running to train for the Great Scottish Run in October, (I'll come back to this in another post) however I liked the idea and thought that I'd amend it a little to suit my current needs and desires.

So for the next 100 days, I'm going to read and write something everyday. Some of the writing might make it onto the blog but likely, more of it will remain unfinished scribbles. Regardless, I'm keen to start writing with more frequency and get flexing that muscle. Recently, I've been thinking about playing around with short stories but I'm a bit nervous about putting them out here on the blog in case they're a bit crap.

I'll keep a track of what I'm reading over on my Instagram and as ever, I'm interested in getting some suggestions, fiction or non-fiction.

I'll also try to post as much of the semi-acceptable writing on the blog or snippets on social media so you can follow along if you like. I've decided to start a little hashtag to keep it all in one place #readwrite100

Creative, huh?

So... use the hashtag. Let me see what you're writing, what you're reading and what words you're loving right now and I'll do the same too.


4 comments:

  1. When I was a kid I used to spend all my spare time reading and writing (incredibly cringey!) short stories. I sometimes think about trying to get back into creative writing but I'm scared I'd just be really shit haha!

    Anyway, if you do decide to try out some short stories and share them I certainly won't judge :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you're reading too - I need some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realised that comment makes it sound like I'm suggesting they would be crap haha, definitely not what I meant!!

      Delete
    2. Haha Kirsty, I definitely didn't read that like you think they'd be crap. (In all probability they will!)

      I was really into short stories was I was young. I found an old book filled with them not long ago. They tended to focus on a group of 'detective' children who solved crimes committed against animals. I don't think I'll be revisiting that series. I also wrote a lot of poems about the holocaust which was a bit creepy!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to hear how you're getting on! Am so happy to have a fellow 100 days challenger with me! Good luck lovely x

    ReplyDelete