Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Loving lately



Living

Firstly, after my little rant here about needing to organise some adventures I thought I should give you a quick update on the plans that I've made to remedy that.

July - The plan was to climb a Munro (Ben Lawer) but my mountain climbing buddy Andrea's legs weren't quite up to it after a particularly tough cycle the day before. This meant that July's adventure was changed slightly and Ryan and I climbed the Pentland Hills in Edinburgh instead.

August - I've two weeks off so at some point I WILL give blood. I just keep putting it off because I'm lazy. No more.

September - I've booked a girl's weekend to York. I'll be joined by two of my best friends on this trip and I'm so excited to catch up with them. I'll also be completing Tough Warrior which I had totally forgotten about until now. Bloody hell. Also in September, I'll be returning to University to train as a Nurse. A huge change from my policy background and one that I'm equal parts excited and terrified about.

October - I've signed up for a bloody half marathon. You know, me, the person who hates running? Yup. However, so far I've actually been enjoying my training thanks to the Runkeeper app which gives me a little green tick every time I complete a run. Who knew I was that simple!? It also tells me which days I need to run, how far and it tracks the speed I'm running at so I can clearly see the improvements in my pace. I'm obsessed with it.

So far the furthest I've ran is five miles but each weekend I run an extra mile from the week before so I'll be at half marathon distance in no time. The only problem I'm having is that I have a pesky blister which won't clear up and I don't want to take time out of the training to let it heal. If anyone knows of a way to speed the healing process up then I'm all ears.

Reading.

I've been making a real effort to read a lot more recently. Over the past couple of weeks I've consumed six books which is probably more than I've read over the course of the year previously. I might try to do a review post about some of the books so I won't say too much about them here other than that Versions of Us by Laura Barnett was by far a standout one for me. It considers the paths in people's lives not taken which is a theme I'm obsessed with. It was just a really lovely book and I highly recommend it.

Blog wise:

I loved this little short story from Tightrope to the Sun.
I've enjoyed hearing about Siobhan's trip to Canada
Sticking with the travel theme, I've enjoyed Existation's posts about Iceland (which is next on my travel bucket list) and Scarphelia's posts about New York.
The idea of writing short stories has been intriguing me of late so this post from Vivatramp was a useful read.

Listening.

I'm currently OBSESSED with John Mayer. I'm listening to most of his songs on Spotify but a couple of standout ones for me are Assassin, Wildfire and Badge and Gun. The quote at the top of the page is from this last song.

I'm also listening to a lot of another John lately. I'm a big fan of country music and discovered John Denver a while back. I actually knew most of these songs before I realised that it was the same man who sang them all. Favourites of mine include Annie's Song, Country Roads and Leaving on a Jet Plane.

Watching.

SUITS, SUITS, SUITS. Season Four has just arrived on Lovefilm so we've been throwing ourselves into that.

We've also been getting into the Good Wife but that's been put on hold while we catch up on the goings on at Pearson Spector.

What are you guys enjoying right now? In particular I'm always keen to hear about books I should read, music I should listen to or boxsets I should be watching.

2 comments:

  1. I've been trying to read more and actually got through 2 books in a week and then stopped because I didn't know what to read next, which I'm well aware is a stupid reason! I'll need to give Versions of Us a wee read, and will look out for your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirsty, I'm always like this too! I get overwhelmed by choice and then just end up not reading anything. Versions of us is great, it has three plotlines involving the same people so it does get a little bit confusing at times but definitely stick with it. I found it was worse if I took a break and then came back to it, I couldn't remember which storyline I was in. Overall definitely worthwhile though!!

      Delete