Thursday, 28 August 2014

Little Loves

I've decided to write a little blog post about things that I'm feeling enthusiastic because it's a nice positive thing to do after all the moaning I've been doing around here of late. I don't want you getting the impression that I'm a miserable sod all of the time. However, I tend not to be overly good at conveying genuine enthusiasm without sounding sarcastic so bear with me.

There are a few things over this past couple of weeks that I've been feeling fairly enthusiastic about. One of them is Gossip Girl and more specifically Blair and Chuck but I am twenty-seven years old and I will not write a blog post about my obsession with a television series aimed at teenagers. I WILL NOT.

Moving swiftly on...

Discovering a new favourite band.


Picture sourced from The Lab Magazine's interview with the band.

I was in my car one lunch time last week, listening to the radio and I heard this song. I'm not really much of a new music connoisseur,  rather I tend to be pretty apathetic about all but a few songs and I very rarely develop obsessions with bands. However as soon as I heard the haunting intro of My Silver Lining, my attention was piqued and then the lyrics kicked in and it was obvious to me that I would listen to this song over and over and over again. I discovered the voices on the track belonged to a band called First Aid Kit and I have been ALL OVER them on Spotify. Their album Stay Gold is just perfection. These songs are the ones that I would write if I could play an instrument, sing and, you know, actually write beautiful lyrical masterpieces.

I'm a huge fan of the folksy, country style of the music but it's the lyrics that are the best part.

''I don't wanna wait anymore, I'm tired of looking for answers,
 Take me someplace where there's music and there's laughter.'' - My Silver Lining

''I dunno if I'm scared of dying but I'm scared of living too fast, too slow'' - My Silver Lining

And this one is constantly stuck in my head because if there is one thing which is certain to make me fall in love with a band, it's a Johnny Cash//June Carter reference.

''I'll be your EmmyLou and I'll be your June; 
you'll be my Gram and my Johnny too,'' - EmmyLou

I've been serenading Ryan with this song all week. Given that I've the vocal ability of a bag of cats it's probably not as romantic as it sounds.

Appreciating Edinburgh

One of the best things about signing myself up for all these challenges has been that it forced me to get out of the house and do a bit exploring. I live in one of the most scenic cities in the UK (in my humble opinion) so getting out and about is usually pretty interesting. Recently though, I've been spending more time watching Gossip Girl than doing any exploring. Nb: really must stop talking about Gossip Girl!

Tonight though, the sun was shining on my way home from work and I talked myself into going for a walk. On top of that, earlier in the week Ryan and I ventured out and did some Edinburgh Fringe Festival exploring. It's a nice change going out on a week night. For some reason it makes me feel like I'm on holiday which is exciting because holidays are awesome.













No comments:

Post a Comment