Thursday, 2 January 2014

...made a real New Year's Resolution

Happy New Year to everyone reading and a huge thank you for taking the time to click through to the blog. I think that it would make sense if for the first post in this blog, I explained a little about how this idea came to be and how I hope it will pan out.


Image found here

Probably the main reason that this idea has managed to take root in my mind is the fact that I've had two weeks off for the first time since I started working. You should know that I get bored easily and I love nothing more than making plans so with two weeks off I've managed to come up with a pretty ridiculous plan which is the type that I love best.

Secondly, I was keen to make sure that 2014 was a year of experiences for me. I achieved a lot in 2013 and I felt like 2014 was panning out to be a little bit meh...At the same time, I wanted to do something substantial to help others and I thought that I could combine the two to fundraise for charity by completing a personal challenge each month throughout 2014. I've set my target for the year at £3000 split between two charities (The Sick Kids Friends Foundation and Stroke Association), although I would love to be able to raise even more than this but I suppose that depends on how much people buy into what I'm doing and whether you all share it to a wider audience.

I've chosen to split the money between two charities because each is important to me but for different reasons. The Sick Kids Friends Foundation supports the work for the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh which receives over 100,000 sick children every year. My childhood was a wonderful, carefree time and my heart breaks when I think about the many children whose opportunity to have such a childhood is stolen from them by a cruel illness. The projects  carried out by this charity are of great importance and I would be very happy if I could contribute towards any of these. You can make a donation here 


Image found on pinterest

For much more personal reasons, which I won't discuss in great depth, Stroke Association is a charity close to my heart. I have a strong family history of this disease and have experienced first hand the horror of watching someone I love dearly have, what we believed at the time to be, a stroke. During the research phase of my Masters dissertation I also conducted interviews with patients who had suffered from a stroke and found myself to be deeply moved by their stories, perhaps more so because of my own personal experience. Stroke Association campaign on behalf of stroke victims, fund research and provide life after stroke support services. All of this is valuable work which I would like to contribute towards and you can make a donation here

To raise funds, I've decided to commit myself to completing one new challenge each month throughout 2014. I'm trying to make sure that these are things I've never done before in order to make it a little more interesting (and hence the name of the blog). I've some initial ideas but there are still a few gaps so ideas are more than welcome!! The first two months are the most difficult because the weather is still a bit cold for trekking up mountains so I need to think outside of the box and I don't have much time to come up with an idea.

January -

February -

March - I have quite a good idea for March but it depends on whether I can get certain companies to agree and that probably depends on how well January and February go!

April - As it's my birthday in April I thought that I should throw some kind of event although I've still to think about the details.

May - The Edinburgh Kiltwalk

June - Tough Mudder

July - Climb Ben Nevis. Given my extreme hatred for walking up hills (I once cried walking up Arthur's Seat) I think this is the biggest challenge that I've set myself.

August - Walk the West Highland Way

September - Complete the Great North Run in less than 50 Mins (the closest I've come before is 53).

October - ??

November - ??

December - ??



Image found here

I'll be blogging as regularly as possible about the challenges and I will also be annoying the life out of everyone on twitter so please follow me and share on to others who might be interested in following the adventures. Also, if anyone wants to accompany me in doing any of the challenges then just let me know.

Kylie xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment